How is Footsteps an example of eco-tourism?
I assume you mean the Footsteps EcoLodge in Gambia.
Ecotourism simply refers to tourism in which the environment and the lifestyle of the local population is minimally affected. It involves visits to pristine and relatively undisturbed areas as an alternative to commercial tourism.
Footsteps has taken the following steps to ensure eco-tourism:
- 100% renewable energy: from solar and wind power. solar power fridges reduce propane usage. Solar water heaters.
- 5 minutes hot water per guest
- Eco-friendly swimming pool: fresh water is cleaned through a reed bed instead of chemicals.
- Wastewater reuse: grey water from the toilets and washing is reused in irrigation.
- employs local staff, 22 people in total
- footsteps furniture is made from local material and by local craftsmen
- eco-friendly toilets: composting toilets convert waste to manure (for use in agriculture)
- the huts are made from local material
- as much as possible, material recycling is done