Explain the role of job descriptions in job advertising and recruiting.
A job description is generally given in a job advertisement or listing as a way of specifying the duties that will be performed by the person who is hired. These help potential applicants know if they are qualified, but they also help firms understand better what qualities and skills they need in the new hire.
As the link below tells us, a good job description will tell most or all of the following things:
- The duties and responsibilites of the position being filled, so far as they are known.
- Requirements for education and experience.
- Salary and benefits.
- Required performance levels.
- Some information about the work environment.
- Information about the firm as a whole.
Providing a detailed and accurate job description is important to a firm because it enables the firm to attract the most qualified possible applicants.