Solute is a substance that is homogeneously mixed with another substance called as solvent to produce a solution. Solutes can be solids, liquids or gases. Here are examples of some solutes and the commonly used solvent:
- Oxygen in water: dissolved oxygen or DO is responsible for aquatic life.
- Oxygen in air: is responsible for our survival.
- Oxygen in blood: is how the oxygen travels through our bodies.
- Sugar in Water:
- Salt in water: could be any salt, the most common example is sodium chloride or common salt.
- Ethanol in water: is what makes the alcoholic beverages.
- Carbon in iron: is what makes steel.
- Silver in gold: to make lower quality gold (22 karat or less, pure gold is 24 karat) that can be used to make ornaments.
- Nutrients in water: is how the plant obtains nutrients in different parts.
- Metals in gold: gives us colored gold. Ni/Mn/Pd gives white gold, Cu gives rose red gold, etc.
Alloys are also good examples of solutes.
Hope this helps.