Elements of Metaphysical Poetry?
I would like to know more in general about the elements of metaphysical poetry, what they do, what effect they have? I know that the elements include: conceit, allusion, paradox, irony and so on.
Also about the poem The Sun Rising by John Donne which uses elements of conceit and allusion. also The Good Morrow.
3 Answers | Add Yours
The Metaphysical school of English poetry is more about a certain notion of style than themes or content. These poems were called 'strong lines' in their times. This strenuousness of style is integral to it.
1. Wit that is essentially ironic.
2. Poetry of erudition as conveyed in very versatile references to different socio-cultural and scientific theories. This is often called the Allusive style of the Metaphysicals.
3. The logical structure or what T.S.Eliot calls "tough reasonableness"
4. A combination of levity and seriousness.
5. The epigrammatic style.
6. The use of conceits--far-fetched images
The Sun Rising is an extremely intelligent love poem which makes fun of the typical eulogistic reference to the beloved in romantic poetry and refers a lot to the Heliocentric theories.
The Good Morrow too, is a subtly undercuting love poem where the speaker uses allusions that range between the Bible and the Alchemy and so on.
rest everything is covered in other answers given here,just one thing I would like to add here is :
1) Metaphysical means something above physical level.
2) Also we can say that metaphysical poetry is a combination of logical and imaginative approach.
Metaphysical poetry is a literary art that talks on the philosophy of knowledge and existence.
It uses figures of speech:
a. Juxtaposition - it gives the whole idea and content in the poem through comparing and contrasting two objects
b. Irony - emphasizes the real truth or the facts.The American Heritage Dictionary's define irony: “incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs.”
c. Allusion -refer names, place or literary characters that can add to the message of the poem. To decipher it, you must look on the similarity of the poem and the mention name
d. Conceit - an intellectually but imaginative poetic comparison or image of two objects or ideas
We’ve answered 318,930 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question