Does anyone have a tagline suggestion for Fahrenheit 451?
I didn't understand the story enough to make a good tagline for an assignment. Only ones i got was, A world where books aren't allowed. and. Ignorance of the society is unbelievable.
The best tag-lines are corny or ironic: they reveal a situation or language that is not expected. They are puns or parodies of others: they make fun of or honor earlier ones but with a twist.
Take, for example, the U.S. Forestry Service's "Only you can prevent forest fires." Here's a spoof: "Only you can prevent book burning."
I also like the corny one on the movie poster: "Aflame with the excitement and emotions of tomorrow!" What cheese!
Here's some more:
- "Montag: fighting fire with fire."
- "Fahrenheit 451: the temperature at which Montag kicks ass." (for a Rated R movie) or "...at which Montag gets hot under the collar" (for PG).
- "Beatty and the Electric Hound: Sleep now in your fire"
- Instead of "It’s not a job. It’s an adventure" (U.S. Marine Corps), you could say, "It's not a book. It's an adventure."
- "The few, the proud, the Marines" could be "The few, the proud, the Book People."
- Instead of "Give a hoot, don’t pollute," you could say, "Don't be a weed. Read" or "Plant a seed. Read."
- Instead of "Friends don’t let friends drive drunk," you could say, "Readers don't let readers burn books."
To me, the main ideas of the story are these:
- Books are banned because people have become too busy and too obsessed with fast entertainment. They have short attention spans and are not patient enough to want to read a book.
- Books are banned because people do not want to have to think. They do not want their ideas to be challenged. It makes them uncomfortable when that happens.
- Both of these things are the causes of the problems in the society.
So you should try to think up taglines that go with these ideas. For example: "They were too lazy to think, and it destroyed their society." Or "They had technology and entertainment, but they lost their souls."