Discuss the reasons for using parallel connections of domestic appliances.
In electrical installations, the resistors can be connected in two ways, which are in series and in parallel. Each form has its own characteristics in terms of the voltage V, the current I and power P, for each resistor connected in the circuit . To see the advantages of the parallel connection, we can compare these characteristics.
1. The current is the same, for all of the circuit resistances.
2. The potential difference of the electrical network is shared between all resistances, according to its value; in this way the potential of each resistance is lower than the network; this affects the power dissipated by each resistance.
3. A break in any element, interrupts the operation of the other elements.
1. The potential difference for all resistances is equal to the supply voltage; thus the power dissipation is not affected.
2. The current is distributed according to the value of each resistor; that is, the current flows according to the power of the element.
3. A break in any of the elements does not interrupt the operation of the other elements.
So, when comparing the characteristics of each type of connection, we see that the parallel connection, is the most suitable for domestic installations.