Before I became a teacher I worked as an efficiency management expert. This is a very important part of any career in business.
First you need to hire employees based on your goals as you plan your business using “competency models. Then you plan career advancement training and promotional opportunities for all employees and encourage “promotion from within the company. “ Next you need to closely look at the positive aspects of flexible working schedules help build loyalty and employees who take ownership of their positions and of the company in a positive way. Try to create new ways to gain employees through partnerships with local schools. We do this in my community and it works well to keep young people from leaving our community by supplying them with jobs after graduation. Make sure you have your long-time employees help or have some say in the selection of new employees; like “a peer interview program, or referral system.” Also, use new methods, including the internet to help with the staffing process. “Make sure to incorporate diversity into the staffing process, and finally be sure to give your managers and senior leaders the tools they need to improve their specific areas of the company themselves.
Staffing is part of the basic management function of organizing. Some experts consider staffing and organizing as two separate functions. The other basic management function are planning or decision making, leading or motivating, and controlling.
Staffing function is concerned with ensuring that various positions identified in the organization structure of an enterprise are staffed by persons with required skills, knowledge and other capabilities. Strategic staffing and staffing are not two separate functions. The only difference between the two is the way the two functions are performed. Strategic staffing is staffing function performed keeping in view the overall, long term needs of the enterprise. It not only meets the immediate needs of the environment, but also prepares to meet the future requirements. Also it gives explicit attention to the need to achieve balance between requirements of different functions and organizational levels within the enterprise.
We can identify the following steps in the strategic staffing for an existing organization.
- Examine and finalize the organization structure of the enterprise. The organization structure must be designed that in addition to meeting the immediate requirements of the enterprise it also prepares people to take up positions likely to be created in future. For example, a company with fast expanding chain of retail store must provide for an organization structure that prepares some of its junior managers to take up the position of Managers of retail outlets.
- Identify the current and future requirements for manning the required position in the company.
- Identify the likely shortage in manpower for current and future operations. In doing so the the likely attribution of people as well as increase in skill and knowledge with working within the organization must be considered.
- Identify the sources of filling the shortages, This will include internal transfer and promotions and recruitment.
- Identify the need for training and development to prepare existing employees to take up new positions upon transfer or promotion. This training will include, in addition to formal training, on the job training. Also, job rotation system will be considered for preparing persons to take higher management positions requiring a wider organizational perspective.
- Prepare short- and long-term recruitment and human resources development (training) plan.
- Take appropriate recruitment and human resources management action as per the short-term plans.
- Periodically review performance and based on thet prepare prepare short-term plan for the next short-term period, and if necessary, revise the long term-plans.
- Staff the organization using new recruitment, transfer and promotions as and when required.