What were the pivotal events in the Civil Rights Movement?
pohnpei397 | Certified Educator
There were many pivotal events in the Civil Rights Movement. They include:
- Brown v. Board of Education. This decision made school segregation illegal. It was the first major victory for civil rights in the courts and can be seen as the spark for the movement.
- Montgomery Bus Boycott. First major direct action to fight segregation.
- Greensboro sit-ins. The first example of non-violent civil disobedience that was to become the trademark of the movement.
- March on Washington. Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech made during this march was one of the most stirring events of the movement and helped to push the government toward real change.
- Civil Rights Act of 1964. This was the major legislative victory of the movement.
There are of course many other important events whose significance should not be minimized, but these are the most important events of the movement.