I did a project for biology. I did the project of overpopulation. My plants got over watered and never grew. What would have happened to the cup with more seeds?
The plants were grown in two cups with the same amount of soil and water. The only difference was the number of seeds in the two cups. One cup had four seeds and the other ten.
Generally, the cup containing more seeds would have more competition amongst those seeds for available water, space and soil. Eventually, the best adapted seeds would out-compete the others and they would have thrived while the others would have died. Intraspecific competition is a form of competition in which members of the same species compete for resources. Within your experiment, this would have occurred. Once the seeds would have sprouted, they would have been competing for available light. This would favor the taller, faster growing seedlings. In the cup with fewer seeds, competition would have been less since the population density was less.
If you use the same soil, same quantity of water and same quality of seeds then at the time of germination in both the cups same percentage of seeds will grow and the possibility is that all the seeds will germinate in to seedlings. However with passage of time as the seedlings grow further, the a lower quantity of air, light, food in soil and water will be available to the plants in cup with 10 seeds as compared to the cup with 4 seed.
You will observe the following in the cup with 10 seeds as compared to the cup with 4 seeds:
1. The plants will get weaker with the passage of time (days) due to lower quantity of food in the cup
2. The plants will grow taller to get access to light and air
3. The soil will get dried out quicker and will need more frequent watering to prevent plants from limping
4. There will be more entanglement of roots even at an early stage
* * I understood that you are relating the hotly debating topic of OVER-POPULATION to over populated seeds in the same pot.... As in a populated country no one get adequate resources, scientificall the same thing happens with seeds where all get something but no one get all the things ¤