This type of essay is designed to help you create a piece of writing that will communicate sensory details and impressions so that a reader can share the writer's experience of a place. The details you will want to select will be related to the five senses and also to objects or people that help to characterize a space or place.
You can think about the assignment as a challenge to set the scene for a film. Before the action of the film takes place, the physical space needs to be understood by your audience.
To make the writing process as easy as possible, you should select a place to write about that you know very well or that you feel offers a rich sensory experience.
One way to plan this essay is to do the following:
- Make a list of three places you might write about.
- Choose which of these you will have the easiest time describing.
- Make a list of ten details that you associate with the place you’ve chosen.
- Narrow that list of details down to five that you are most interested in.
- Plan a paragraph for each of these details, describing it specifically.
Some of details you might consider for you essay about a place might include:
- the smells of a place (food smells, outdoor smells like dirt or grass, etc.)
- the structure of a place (cityscape with buildings, park with trees, etc.)
- the people who are around you in that place
- the sounds of the place (cars, music, talking, quiet, breeze in the trees, etc.)