Create a memo for the following: Your Municipal government encourages money-saving suggestions to help balance the city budget. The suggestion committee, which you chair, has voted to adopt five...
Create a memo for the following:
Your Municipal government encourages money-saving suggestions to help balance the city budget. The suggestion committee, which you chair, has voted to adopt five suggestions:
1) Direct-deposit paycheques to save distribution and printing costs. Suggested by Poh-Kim Lee, in Recreation and Parks.
2) Buy supplies in bulk. Suggested by Jolene Zigmund, in Maintenance.
3) Charge nearby towns and suburbs a fee for sending their firefighters through the city fire academy. Suggested by Charles Boxell, in Fire Safety.
4) Set up an honour system for employees to reimburse the city for personal photocopies or phone calls. Suggest by Maria Echeverria, in Police.
5) Install lock boxes so meter readers don’t have to turn off water valves when people move. This causes wear and tear, and broken valves must be dug up and replaces. Suggested by Travis Gratton, in Water Line Maintenance.
Each suggester gets $100. The Accounting Department will cut cheques the first of next month; cheques should reach people in interoffice mail a few days later.
As your instructor directs
a) Write to one of the suggesters, giving the good news.
b) Write to all employees, announcing the award winners.
On this site, we cannot actually write a memo for you. What I can do is to give you some pointers about how to write this memo.
The first thing to do is to make sure that you have all the proper parts to your memo. You will need to start with a header that gives the names of the intended recipients, your name, the date, and the topic of your memo. For the topic line, you might put something like “Suggestions Being Adopted” or “Money-Saving Competition Winners.”
From there, you would simply turn to an announcement of the winning ideas. Since this is a memo, you will want to keep the tone relatively business-like. You should list the ideas that are being adopted and the names and positions of the people who came up with the ideas.
Having set out the important information, you could then end with a conclusion congratulating the winners. You might want to thank them for their help in saving taxpayer money and making the city run more smoothly. You should announce that the winners are being awarded the cash prize. This section of the memo could be written in a slightly less business-like tone because you are trying to exude enthusiasm and appreciation.
Since this is a memo and not a piece of creative writing, it is a very straightforward task. You are just trying to set out the relevant information.