Could someone please give me some resemblances between "A Rose for Emily" and "The Tell-tale Heart" (by Poe)?
I know this is all about A rose for Emily but i really hope someone could help me with this, im a dutch student.
thank you so much
I can see quite a few similiarities between the stories.
1) Both Emily and the narrator live with someone. Emily lives with her manservant (though he is not there 24 hours a day) and the narrator the old man, but they are essentially alone.
2) Both committ murders. Emily kills Homer with rat poision, the narrator either smothers the man or gives him a fatal blow, it is not clear exactly how he does it.
3) Both "hide" their crime, Emily by keeping the corpse in her bedroom, the narrator by burying the old man under the floor boards.
4) Both crimes are eventually discovered.
5) Guilt is a factor. The townspeople in "Emily" know they have neglected one of their own; in "Heart" the narrator's guilt gets to him so much that he finally blurts out his confession.