1 Answer | Add Yours
Les Miserables is a novel of great enough length that there are several different plot lines happening throughout the story following different characters. The primary protagonist however is Jean Valjean. Assuming you have read the story, the following plot line should help you recall the basic details of Valjean's story in order.
- Jean Valjean is released from jail.
- A Bishop pardons Valjean after he steals some silver.
- Valjean steals a coin from a boy in town and cannot find him to return it and apologize. (Conflict = Jean Valjean's pardon from the bishop changes his entire life attitude, however, Javert, the chief of police is now hunting him down for the stolen coin.)
- Valjean changes his name, becomes the Mayor of Montreuil-sur-Mer, and employs a poor woman named Fantine in his factory.
- Fantine dies and Valjean promises to rescue and raise the daughter she has been paying the Thenardiers to raise.
- Valjean rescues Cosette from the Thenardiers.
- Valjean and Cosette move to Paris where they hide in a convent; Valjean becomes a gardener and Cosette a student.
- While on daily walks with her father, Cosette is noticed by a young and poor student named Marius, who falls in love with her.
- Valjean becomes a philanthropist and wants to help the Thenardiers monetarily.
- The Thenardiers recognize Valjean and Cosette and plan to rob and kill them.
- Marius is involved in a revolutionary group who fight for the freedom of the poor French in a street barricade.
- Jean Valjean saves Marius and Javert's lives at the barricade; Javert commits suicide.
- Cosette and Marius marry.
- Valjean tells Cosette the truth of her life and her identity.
- Valjean dies happy and loved.
We’ve answered 319,202 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question