1 Answer | Add Yours
I don't exactly see too many connections between Catcher in the Rye and Iron Man, so I'll go with Juno here.
- Both the novel Catcher in the Rye and the film Juno are examples of the bildungsroman (coming-of-age) genre in which two teenagers enter the adult world.
- Holden reluctantly enters the adult world and complains about it throughout the novel. He calls most adults and teens "phonies," because they are materialistic and obsessed with status.
- Juno is forced to enter the adult world through her pregnancy. She is much more mature than Holden, using lighter sarcasm in her dealing with adults. In fact, she "falls" for an adult, Mark (Jason Batemen). She is, however, betrayed by him because he dissolves the marriage and prospective adoption. Nonetheless, she still trusts the adult world, namely Vanessa (Jennifer Garner), enough to uphold the adoption.
- Whereas Holden is reluctant to have sex with Sonny and other girls like Jane, Juno willingly enters into her sexual relationship with Bleeker (Michael Cera). In fact, they stay together even after the baby is born. Such attitudes suggest much more openness to sex as a result of the sexual and feminine revolutions of the 1960s and 1970s. Catcher, obviously, is set before then and the society is, therefore, much more conservative about sexual mores.
- Holden's parents never appear in the novel. His relationship is strained: they send him away to school. Juno lives with and is supported by her parents. Although not opposed to abortion, they trust her to entrust the baby with a loving family. Her mother, for example, take her to the ultrasound appointment.
- Both works are comedies and use verbal irony throughout (sarcasm, overstatement, understatement.) In Juno, it's light parody (Horatian):
Your parents are probably wondering where you are.
Nah... I mean, I'm already pregnant, so what other kind of shenanigans could I get into?
In Catcher, it's much more angry and pointed satire (Juvenalian):
I mean most girls are so dumb and all. After you neck them for a while, you can really watch them losing their brains. You take a girl when she really gets passionate, she just hasn't any brains.
We’ve answered 319,816 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question