2 Answers | Add Yours
- CAUSE: Dill bets Jem that he is too afraid to enter the Radley yard.
EFFECT: Jem accepts the dare and runs up and slaps the side of the Radley house.
- CAUSE: The children discover items in the knothole of the Radley oak.
EFFECT: They try to determine who is putting them there.
- CAUSE: Boo's parents both die.
EFFECT: Their son, Nathan, moves from Pensacola to take care of Boo.
- CAUSE: A mad dog stalks the street on which Atticus lives. EFFECT: Atticus is called upon to kill the dog since he was once the best marksman in Maycomb County.
- CAUSE: Jem becomes angry and chops down all of Mrs. Dubose's camellias.
EFFECT: Atticus requires Jem to read to her for a month as punishment.
- CAUSE: Atticus is away from Maycomb on business one Sunday.
EFFECT: Calpurnia decides she can't trust Jem and Scout to be sent to their own church alone, so she takes them to her own church in the Quarters.
1. Cause: Scout decides to help out her friend, Walter Cunningham Jr., by attempting to explain why he will not accept Miss Caroline's quarter during lunch. Effect: Scout accidentally offends and upsets Miss Caroline, who ends up making her stand in the corner.
2. Cause: Jem invites Walter Cunningham Jr. over for dinner. Effect: Scout ends up making rude comments about Walter's eating habits and is chastised in the kitchen by Calpurnia.
3. Cause: Scout contradicts Jem about his belief in hot steams. Effect: Jem gets upset and pushes Scout in the tire as hard as he can. Scout ends up slamming into the Radleys' porch.
4. Cause: Dill and Jem wish to get a look at Boo Radley through his window and decide to go on a nighttime raid into the Radley yard. Effect: The children get the attention of Nathan Radley, who fires his shotgun in the air as they escape from his yard.
5. Cause: Atticus requires Jem and Scout to stand outside at a safe distance from Maudie's burning home. Effect: Boo Radley notices that Scout is cold and places a blanket over her shoulders to warm her.
6. Cause: Atticus has to travel to Montgomery to fulfill his legislative duties.
Effect: Calpurnia decides to take Jem and Scout to her church, First Purchase African M.E. Church, for Sunday service.
We’ve answered 319,811 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question