Can you please tell me where to find conflict between some of the characters in Lord of the Flies? I have a 4 page essay due tomorrow that I just found out about today! I already have some quotes but she wants us to do a whole analysis and quote type thing using IDA. Please help! Thank you :)
1 Answer | Add Yours
I'm not sure what IDA is, but here are some conflicts.
1. Of course all the boys are in conflict with nature because they're stranded on the island and society at large because they were being evacuated from school due to the adult world at war.
2. Other elements of conflict with nature is that they're living on an island that they think is scary in some ways. They think there may be "beasties" and there is the constant search for food and clean drinking water.
3. As it turns out though, the "beast" is within the boys themselves, so this would be an internal conflict. Golding is commenting on the evil within ourselves that is loosed without the constraints of laws and mores of society.
4. There is a superficial conflict between Ralph and Jack and their followers. Jack wants to hunt and his focus is on the fun and excitement of their situation. Ralph is more focused on rescue, so he is interested in keeping the signal fire going.
5. By the end of the novel, Jack and his followers have killed Piggy and are hunting Ralph.
We’ve answered 319,641 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question