Can you please help me with these study quotes. Can you tell me the speaker, literal meaning and context of these quotes
- “This is no idle threat;
The punishment for disobedience is death by stoning.
So now you know. And now is the time to show
Whether or not you are worthy of your royal blood.”
- “I know my duty, where true duty lies.”
- “ For my part, I have always held the view,
And hold it still, that a king whose lips are sealed
By fear, unwilling to seek advice, is damned.”
- “My lord I fear, I fear—I feared it from the first—
That this might prove to be an act of the gods.”
- “I did not think your edicts strong enough
To overrule the unwritten unalterable laws
Of God and heaven, you being only a man.”
- “ It is no weakness for the wisest man
To learn when he is wrong, know when to yield.”
- “The people of Thebes!
Since when do I take my orders from the people of Thebes?”
- “Pay to the dead his due. Wound not the fallen.
It is no glory to kill and kill again.
My words are for your good, as is my will,
And should be acceptable, being for your good.”
0 Answers | Be the first to answer
We’ve answered 318,915 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question