Can you give some instruction on how to write a thesis for an essay? What purpose does the thesis serve and how can I write one?
Your assignment is to write an argumentative essay.
- You have chosen the topic which is an issue, a subject, or a situation.
- There has to be a problem or conflict located within the topic.
- The problem is the argument on which you will need to take a position.
- After completing some preliminary research, the next step in preparation for the actual writing of the essay is to formulate your thesis or claim statement.
What is the thesis statement in an essay? A thesis statement clarifies the argument and your position. The thesis is the central and guiding idea of an essay. It helps to create a unified essay. Specifically, a thesis is the sentence that states the topic and gives your position about the topic.
Typically, the thesis statement is positioned at the end of the introductory paragraph so that it will provide a forecast for what is to come in the essay.
Thesis statements need to be adequately limited in scope but not so limited that they give you nothing to explore. The best way to decide on your position is to word the argument in the form of a question.
This is the logical procedure for writing thesis:
Argument=Does the death penalty deter capital crimes? (This is not a thesis statement.)
The answer to this question will be the position or stance that you are taking on the subject. From this answer, you will be able to formulate your thesis. Include the topic and the position that you are taking on the topic in your thesis sentence.
Thesis-The death penalty does not deter criminals from committing capital crimes.
This sentence becomes the controlling sentence for your essay. After more research, the next step would be to choose at least three sub points which would prove that your position is the right one.
Thesis with sub points=
The death penalty does not deter a criminal from committing capital crimes. (1) Most homicides are not calculated; however,(2) if the crime is premeditated, the criminal does not think that he will be caught. (3) The person may sit on death row for as long as 10 years before his execution.
Here are the steps again:
- Choose a topic which has an inherent conflict or problem within it.
- Write the conflict/argument in the form of a question.
- Answer the question in a complete sentence including the topic and the position that you are taking.
- Do more research to select the sub points that you will prove in the body of your paper.
The following is another example of writing the thesis statement:
Argument=Should smoking be banned in all public places?
Thesis statement=Smoking must be banned in all public places.
The answer to this question will be the position that you are taking on the subject. From this answer, you will be able to formulate your thesis. Include the topic and the position that you are taking on the topic in your thesis sentence
Thesis statement with sub points=Smoking must be banned in all public places. If a smoker is unable to smoke in public, he might be encouraged to quit, thus making it less likely to influence non-smokers to begin to smoke. Furthermore, the passive smoker would be saved from second hand smoke.
The thesis statement is the most important sentence(s) in the essay. The rest of the paper will support the thesis.
check Approved by eNotes Editorial