Can a child refuse to visit grandparents even if it is court ordered?

Expert Answers
wannam eNotes educator| Certified Educator
I don't think a child has the right to refuse court ordered visitation. This is assuming that the child in question is a minor. I don't think a court order dealing with visitation could be continued when dealing with a child over 18. I doubt that the child would be punished for missing these visitations; however, the guardians of the child could be. It is their responsibility to deliver the child to the court appointed visits. The consequences of missing these visitations will vary from state to state. A child speak with a lawyer (or ask their guardian to) and try to legally change the court order. To my knowledge, a court order cannot be refused but it can probably be appealed. However, until it is reversed, the order must be followed.