In the book Brave New World, how does John's revulsion against everything in the World State reach its limits in the hospital?
mstultz72 | Certified Educator
In Chapter 14 of Brave New World, while John is in the Hospital for the Dying, he is revulsed by the following:
- The lack of caring for the dying and infirm: his mother's death is treated without regard in the Brave New World.
- His mother's denial of him: she calls him Pope.
- The lack of friendship. Bernard has deceived John, using him as a means to an end, not as a true friend.
- The intrusion of the children. They remind John of bad memories of his childhood on the Reservation and Pope.
- The easy escape through soma. Again, bad memories of mescal abuse on the Reservation are triggered.