Organic compounds are compounds containing carbon. These compounds find various applications in our day to day lives. Some examples of applications of organic substances are:
- Food: All the food and beverages we eat are organic compounds. For example, sweets contain sugar, glucose (C6H12O6) is a very common example. Some other examples are fruits, vegetables, juices, beverages (including alcoholic beverages), etc.
- Fuel: All the fossil fuels are organic compounds, be it coal, natural gas, diesel, gasoline, etc. These form the backbone of our energy needs (both electricity and heating requirements).
- Pharmaceuticals: The drugs, nutrient supplements and other pharmaceutical products are organic compounds.
- Clothing material: most of the clothing materials, such as cotton, silk, wool, etc. are organic compounds.
- Pesticides: are also organic compounds and are used extensively for agriculture.
Hope this helps.