2 Answers | Add Yours
Listening is an incredibly useful skill in both business and personal relationships. Here are some insightful indicators of strong listening skills from a rubric that I made for my students:
Listening Strengths include:
- Listens attentively and respectfully to others' ideas, opinions, points of view
- Asks insightful questions
- Encourages speaker through appropriate use of posture and body language
- can identify purpose for listening and appropriately adapt focus as needed
- Can decipher context, tone, and point of view
- Evaluates presentation strategies and persuasive devices
- Compares and connects speaker's ideas to prior knowledge, insights, or other texts
Based on the above criteria, you could complete a self-evaluation and then base your plan on developing any weaker areas. Strategies for improving listening skills could include removing distractions, taking notes, or sitting closer to the speaker.
The simple act of listening can be such a huge benefit. Listen enables you to fully take in a concept as opposed to just reading it and not understanding what is going on. Listening also allows us to interpret emotion efficiently as opposed to just looking at someone's expression. However there can be times where our listen is not the best and we can think the teacher said an assignment was due 21st when it's actually the 1st. A way to improve listening can be by asking questions and making sure that you heard right. Also record lectures and discussions to listen to them again. Practice makes perfect!
We’ve answered 318,911 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question