I often use a school as an analogy for my students. The following are examples of how different organelles can be applied to different parts of a school building:
- Mitochondria can be related to a cafeteria because this is where energy (food) is made.
- The principal can be related to the nucleus because he/she controls most of the school's functions.
- The lockers can be the vacuoles because they hold excess materials.
- The cell membrane can be like the security guard because he is selectively permeable to what enters the schools. Likewise, the fence can the cell wall because it adds an additional layer of protection to the school.
- The office can be the Golgi apparatus because this is where all the shipping and receiving occurs.
- The air can be the cytoplasm because it encompasses everything.
I think you get the idea! :) Good luck!!!