Start with these, a combination of basic knowledge and deeper analysis:
1. Who are the main characters?
2. From what you know about these characters, who would you cast to play their parts in a film version of this novel?
3. What themes emerge in this novel?
4. How are Kate and Maria alike? Different?
5. Is Maria a good mother? Why or why not?
6. Explain how the author misguides the reader and give proof for your ideas.
7. Is Maria or the culture that surrounds her at fault for the circumstances that befall her?
8. Compare and contrast Maria's inner self with her immediate outer self/world.
9. Is Maria a hero? Why or why not?
10. How is this novel considered "psychological fiction"? Back up your answer with specific evidence from the reading.
11. Together with a partner, write ten more questions that evoke critical thinking about this novel. Supply an answer. We will trade these with other partners in the class to further our study of this novel.