I am asked to write a response essay for my philosophy class. Can you give a detailed outline of the essay?
In the impossibility of moral responsibility, Galen Strawson argues that true moral responsibility is impossible and defends this claim with what he calls "the basic argument". For this essay, explain what Strawson means by truly morally responsiblility and why he finds the basic argument to be fatal to such a notion. In your answer, include his refutation of one of the basic forms of response to his argument.The essay should be from Strawson's perspective instead of your personal understanding. (please look at the classnotes and stick to it as much as possible)
- Briefly define “true basic argument”.
- Briefly define moral responsibility.
- Identify thesis statement of why the basic argument is fatal to moral responsibility.
- Define and support concept of moral responsibility according to Galen Strawson.
True Basic Argument
- Support Premises.
- Support Conclusion
- Choose Compatibilist, Refutation, Libertarian, or Refutation and define concept.
- How does this concept support that the true basic argument is fatal to the concept of moral responsibility?
- Conclusion – reiterate thesis statement and why concept from discussion section supports that the true basis argument is fatal to moral responsibility.