In general, a business that is run by committee is less likely to go off and do stupid things. A business run by committee is more likely to think a potential action over very carefully and avoid doing something in a hurry without figuring out for sure whether it is a good idea. Committees cause many voices to be heard and many ideas to be considered.
However, businesses that are fun by committee can be very slow on their feet. They can miss opportunities because of a lack of strong leadership. They can also lack focus for the same reason.
The previous thoughts were quite accurate. A committee can be quite empowering because more individuals are brought into the decision making process. Individuals can feel more valued in the scenarios of gathering and relaying information. The notion of collaboration in the action of making decisions and judging the validity of paths pondered can help to increase stake in the endeavor and help to offset the feelings that individuals are isolated and not important. Yet, a reason why committees can be seen as disadvantageous would be because of the multiple interests being taken into account, actually making decisions can be difficult. Additionally, the balancing of demands can be proven to be challenging.
Committee refers to a formal group of people created to discuss, decide, and act in patters related to specific ares of work assigned to them. Members of a committee generally are drawn from different departments, functions in an organization, or may be from even different organizations. As a result, usually they work part time for the work of the committee, and represent the interest of their parent department or organization in the committee. A common feature of committee is the joint discussions and decisions of the committee in formal meetings.
The advantages of committee include the following.
- Committees help to bring together a variety views, interests, and expertise together for completion of task.
- Committees provide a mechanism for discussion and and agreements based on consideration of a wider range of interests and alternatives.
- Committee enable use of specialized manpower or expertise for a specific task, by permitting such experts to work part time on the committees.
- Committees avoid the mistakes of hasty decisions taken without due considerations.
- Decision taken by committee are more easily accepted by the all departments because of representation of their interests and viewpoint in the decision making process by way of their representative working on the committee.
Disadvantages of Committee include the following.
- Committee dilute the responsibility for a task. No single person can be held responsible for poor results produced by committee.
- Members of the committee have dual loyalties - towards their parent department and toward the committee. Because of this the meeting of committees can degenerate into a battle ground for conflicting interests of different departments, rather than a forum for joint action.
- Work in a committee being part time and an additional responsibility beyond normal responsibilities within parent department, members of the committee may not take the work of committee very seriously.
- Committees take too much time to decide and act because committee often work part time and the discussion and decision in meetings of the committee is a time consuming process. Many times committees delay taking decision as they are not able to reach consensus.
- Committees in addition to causing delay in decision and action, also cause waste of time of people working on the committee.
- Decisions of committee are frequently in the nature of recommendations and therefore cannot be enforced easily in the organization. Decisions of committees often lack the authority of decisions taken at higher levels of management within the regular organization structure.