1 Answer | Add Yours
Most decades have witnessed major change in one way or another, but I would say that the 1960s were as turbulent as any. It is impossible, perhaps, to do justice to the profound social and political changes that took place around the world during the 60s, but the following is a very incomplete list of important political, social, and cultural developments:
- Escalation of conflict in Vietnam, with the United States increasingly involved.
- Revolutionary struggles and civil wars in European African colonies, including Angola, Mozambique, Algeria, Nigeria, and elsewhere.
- The Civil Rights Movement in the United States
- Youth, or counterculture movements in the United States and many other Western nations, particularly France
- Chinese Cultural Revolution
- Development or expansion of center-left governments, including the establishment of welfare states, in the West
- Beginnings of detente between the United States and the Soviet Union
- The space race culminates with the Apollo 11 landing on the moon.
- Feminist movements rise in many western societies.
We’ve answered 318,915 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question