What are 15 Events that happen in June of 1992? Famous and historical events, wars, art, music, etc.
JUNE 1. Venezuelan revolutionary Carlos ("The Jackal") is sentenced to life imprisonment.
JUNE 15. The United States Supreme Court rules in US vs. Alvarez-Machain that it is permissible for the USA to abduct suspects in foreign countries and bring them to the USA for trial, without approval from those other countries. No reciprocal right is recognized for the reverse to happen in the USA.
JUNE 17. A "Joint Understanding" agreement on arms reduction is signed by U. S. President George H. W. Bush and Russian President Boris Yeltsin (this would be later codified in START II).
JUNE 23. Yitzhak Rabin wins the Israeli parliamentary elections.
JUNE 23. Mafia boss John Gotti is sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty of conspiracy to commit murder and racketeering on April 2.
Having lived through June of 1992, I do not remember it being a very momentous month. I did have my second wedding anniversary that month... Anyway, here are some things that are perhaps more important than my anniversary and which happened in that month:
- Denmark votes to reject the Maastricht treaty. This means that the move towards creating a more solid European Union is delayed a bit.
- The first "World Ocean Day" is celebrated.
- In the US, Vice President Dan Quayle misspells the word "potato" while visiting a grade school.
- Boris Yeltsin of Russia and George Bush of the US sign an understanding on weapons reductions -- it will later become the START II treaty.
- The bodies of the last Czar and Tsarina of Russia are identified.
- In sort of a bookend to that, Estonia stops using the ruble as its currency.
- Denmark wins the European Football Championships (soccer). This is a huge deal for such a small country but probably has nothing to do with the Maastricht Treaty that they rejected...