1. Find examples of humor in Animal Farm. Explain what purpose humor served in the novel. How does it support Orwell's theme?
This is another question
2. How has Orwell used the animal fable to present his view of human nature? Back up any generalizations you make with specific scenes and characters
Please..I really need help in this 2 questions. Thanks so much.
Since the whole idea of animals taking over a farm from humans, winning military victories against humans, and then undergoing human characteristics is rather absurd to begin with, a bit of humor is needed here and there maintain a proper human touch. Examples include:
- The cats (in the real world not known for their loyalty but instead for their indifferent nature) are found to have voted on both sides.
- Mollie is presented in a comic way, worried more about her appearance and the ribbons in her hair.
- The misspelling of "freind" (even animals had problems with the " 'i' before 'e' rule).
- The cats trying to lure the sparrows within their grasp by preaching that all animals were brothers, and that it would be safe to come perch on their paws.
- Napoleon's comic rant after getting drunk for the first time.