Below is a list of current job opportunities at eNotes. The company's office is located in the downtown area of Seattle, Washington.
The eNotes Educator program is currently seeking writers with several years of experience to help us generate high-quality material for the site. Educators produce content in a Q&A format for our Homework Help section, where we have hundreds of student questions available for you to answer in literature, history, and the social sciences. The average pay rate for a 120-word answer is $7.40, but writers can earn up to $37 per answer. Ideal candidates are familiar with a wide array of literary works and have experience generating professional prose in academic and educational settings. Apply for the position here, and feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Editorial, Marketing, and Writing Interns
We offer paid internships at our Capitol Hill location. Please visit our Internship page for current offerings.
Senior SysAdmin/DevOps Engineer
eNotes is actively seeking a Senior SysAdmin/DevOps Engineer with a strong background in deploying and maintaining high availability environments using cloud services such as AWS. Ideal candidates should have a passion for building an innovative and exciting educational platform for students and teachers around the world. eNotes is one of the most heavily trafficked educational websites in the world, with millions of visits every year. You will be responsible for managing the eNotes infrastructure, including automating and provisioning new services, maintaining existing services, configuration tuning, and performance optimization. You will work closely with the eNotes development team to ensure the eNotes infrastructure meets the needs of the developers and codebase.
- Extensive experience with AWS, especially EC2, ELB, RDS, and OpsWorks. You will be responsible for provisioning and maintaining our production AWS deployment.
- In-depth knowledge of automation and configuration management tools such as Chef.
- In-depth knowledge of Linux system administration, preferably on Debian/Ubuntu Linux.
- Scripting language experience, especially to automate repetitive tasks. Knowledge of languages such as Bash, Python, Ruby, etc.
- Familiarity with MySQL configuration and performance tuning, specifically for databases using the InnoDB storage engine. Required skills include optimizing configuration to maximize performance, deploying MySQL servers in production using replication and/or clustering, query optimization, and capacity planning.
- Web server configuration and performance tuning, particularly using apache2 and nginx.
- Experience installing and configuring load balancers such as AWS ELB or HAProxy.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to write effective documentation.
- Experience with the Apache Solr search platform.
- Experience with services such as Memcached or Redis.
- Solid knowledge of networking.
- Self-starter able to identify areas of our infrastructure that need improvement.
- Experience with PHP, including package management tools such as Composer.
eNotes is seeking an SEO expert to manage all search engine optimization projects. This is a full-time, in-house position. The ideal candidate will be responsible for managing all SEO activities such as content strategy, link building, and keyword strategy to increase keyword rankings in all search engines, as well as work with the marketing, development, and editorial teams to drive projects that increase traffic and conversions.
- Track, report, and analyze website analytics.
- Optimize content for search engines.
- Perform ongoing keyword discovery, expansion, and optimization using tools like SEMRush and Google Search Console.
- Research and implement search engine optimization recommendations across the site, including technical changes to site templates.
- Research and analyze competitors.
- Develop and implement link-building strategy.
- Work with the development team to ensure SEO best practices are properly implemented on all newly developed code.
- Work with editorial and marketing teams to drive SEO in all content creation. Recommend changes to website architecture, content, linking and other factors to improve SEO positions for target keywords.
Preferred Skills and Background:
- Proven SEO experience.
- Solid understanding of conversion optimization.
- In-depth experience with website analytics tools like or similar to Google Analytics, Excel, SEM Rush, Google Search Console, Chrome Developer Tools, AB Testing Software.
- Knowledge of ranking factors and search engine algorithms.
- Understanding of how people use Google.
- Up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in SEO.
- BS/MS degree in a quantitative, test-driven field.
eNotes is looking for a Visual Designer with an emphasis on UI/UX design to join our small Marketing and Design team to develop web, email, and print designs—wireframes and mockups. This is a full-time, in-house position in our Seattle, WA, HQ in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. The ideal candidate is communicative, organized, humble, and excited to work collaboratively in a small team environment.
Bonus points for a love of books and education!
- Design graphic components that meet our standards and style guide(s).
- Design layouts and deliverables for our website(s) including, but not limited to: landing pages, checkout flows, transactional emails, and miscellaneous imagery for our email, social media, and blog platforms.
- Develop a deep understanding of our brands, services, target audiences, and competitors' activities, working alongside editorial and marketing staff to improve user experience and increase engagement, retention, and revenue.
- Assist with ideation, design, and implementation of optimization and split testing strategies.
- Foster a collaborative work environment that encourages participation and teamwork.
Preferred Skills and Background:
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or related field required.
- 2+ years of graphic design experience for web and mobile.
- Strong proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite applications (Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign, etc.).
- Experience in education or designing for a student-based demographic a plus.
- Some experience with HTML and CSS a plus.
Interested individuals should send an email along with a resume to email@example.com. If we are interested, we will contact you to set up an interview.
eNotes offers an excellent compensation package, including health/dental insurance, 401k plan, incentive stock options, and half-day Fridays!
eNotes has been online since 2003, serving millions of students and teachers every year through both eNotes.com and OwlEyes.org. The company is privately held and has been profitable since its outset. eNotes has its offices in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle. The company values a work-life balance (half-day Fridays!). The founders are involved on day-to-day basis with the company. Read more about the company and our staff.
Quantcast ranks eNotes in the top 300 websites worldwide.