Article abstract: Gagarin ushered the world into the space age as the first human in space with his orbital mission Vostok 1 on April 12, 1961.
Yuri Gagarin was born to Aleksey Ivanovich Gagarin, a carpenter on a collective farm, and Anna Timofeyevna Gagarin, a dairymaid, on March 9, 1934, in the village of Klushino. This tiny village is west of Moscow, near the town of Gzhatsk (now known as Gagarin) in the Smolensk region of the Soviet Union. Gzhatsk is typically considered Gagarin’s hometown.
Gagarin began his formal education at...
(The entire page is 2041 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE