- What achievements of modern medicine have reduced the high rates of maternal deaths in childbirth that were commonplace during the period of the novel? How have social factors compromised advances in the treatment of tuberculosis?
- What were the milestones in women's rights that have reduced the vulnerability of women like the second Catherine Linton to loss of property?
- Explore how people grieve their dead in various cultures around the world, and how these customs compare with Edgar's request in Wuthering Heights that Nelly "get mourning" for the...
(The entire page is 102 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE