Edgar warns Nelly not to let Cathy know that Linton will be living at the Heights; he fears she will insist on visiting him and thus meet Heathcliff.
Linton is perplexed as to why he has to move to the Heights, since he has never heard of his father, and asks Nelly why he has not seen him before. Nelly quickly invents a tale that Heathcliff was too busy to visit, and Isabella never mentioned him to Linton because she didn’t want him to miss his father.
Heathcliff and Linton meet. Rudely, Heathcliff insults Isabella for not having...
(The entire page is 918 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE