Karl Kiralis (essay date 1959)
SOURCE: "A Guide to the Intellectual Symbolism of William Blake's Later Prophetic Writings," in Criticism, Vol. 1, No. 2, Spring, 1959, pp. 190-210.
[In the following essay, Kiralis offers an interpretation of the symbolism in Blake's Jerusalem in order to elucidate this poem as well as other later prophetic writings, such as Milton and The Four Zoas.]
For various reasons, some simple, some complex, the later writings of William Blake have remained generally unread since the time they were composed in...
(The entire page is 8737 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE