Robert B. Caro (essay date October 1988)
SOURCE: Caro, Robert B. “William Alabaster: Rhetor, Meditator, Devotional Poet—II: Alabaster's Meditative Sonnets.” Recusant History 19, no. 2 (October 1988): 155-70.
[In the following essay, Caro examines the style of Alabaster's meditative sonnets and demonstrates how they anticipate subsequent developments in the rhetorical and meditative traditions.]
As we approach Alabaster's sonnets1 our expectation is enhanced not by the promise of poetic greatness but by the prospect of exploring...
(The entire page is 6981 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE