Amelie is a ''half-caste'' servant at Rochester and Antoinette's "honeymoon-house" in Dominica. Amelie mocks Antoinette, calling her a ‘‘white cockroach.’’ Rochester, who thinks Amelie resembles Antoinette, has sex with Amelie within earshot of Antoinette. Afterwards, Amelie, who has often said that she feels sorry for Rochester, remarks ''I find it in my heart to be sorry for [Antoinette] too.’’ Amelie seems to have planned her seduction of Rochester in order to get money to leave the island.
A black servant at the...
(The entire page is 2609 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE