Twelve-year-old Miranda is the protagonist of When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. She lives in New York City with her mother in 1979. The novel jumps around a bit, starting off when her mother wins a chance to appear on the game show The $20,000 Dollar Pyramid with host Dick Clark; this is a word-association game show where her mom has a chance to win $20,000, a prize she and Miranda could really use. They live in a run-down apartment and do not have much money. Miranda, however, is happy, and her best friend, Sal, lives in the same...
(The entire page is 3116 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE