Like all of Crutcher's young adult novels, the themes found in Whale Talk reflect adolescents' struggle to overcome extreme obstacles and tragedies in life and to develop a sense of personal worth. The main characters in this novel, the Cutter swim team, are those students who are left on the fringe of high school because of mental or physical handicaps or as the result of the prejudice and intolerance of others. However, as the main characters struggle to carve out a place for themselves, they demonstrate strength of character and resiliency. They clearly demonstrate how...
(The entire page is 1167 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE