Linck C. Johnson (essay date 1986)
SOURCE: Johnson, Linck C. “‘Whose Law is Growth’: A Week and Thoreau's Early Literary Career.” In Thoreau's Complex Weave: The Writing of A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers, pp. 202‐47. Charlottesville, Va.: The University Press of Virginia, 1986.
[In the following excerpt, Johnson relates the troubled ten‐year history of A Week, from the river trip to initial publication.]
As the above chapters indicate, the writing of A Week charts Thoreau's literary and intellectual...
(The entire page is 19040 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE