David B. Suchoff (essay date fall 1982)
SOURCE: Suchoff, David B. “‘A More Conscious Silence’: Friendship and Language in Thoreau's Week.” ELH 49, no. 3 (fall 1982): 673‐87.
[In the following essay, Suchoff contends that Thoreau sought to understand the mystery of nature through friendship rather than language.]
“It is difficult to begin without borrowing,” Thoreau tells us as he relates the borrowing of an ax to found his cabin at Walden, “but perhaps it is the most generous course thus to permit your fellow men to have an...
(The entire page is 7324 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE