Eliot, T. S. "The Metaphysical Poets," in Seventeenth-Century Prose and Poetry, 2d ed., edited by Alexander M. Witherspoon and Frank J. Warnke, Harcourt, Brace & World, 1963, p. 1062.
Emerson, Ralph Waldo, "English Literature: Ben Jonson, Herrick, Herbert, Wooton," in The Early Lectures of Ralph Waldo Emerson: 1833–1836, Vol. 1, edited by Stephen E. Whicher and Robert E. Spiller, Harvard University Press, 1959, p. 337.
Fraser, Russell, "George Herbert's Poetry," in Sewanee Review, Vol. 95, No. 4, Fall 1987,...
(The entire page is 510 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE