Harriet Guest (essay date summer 1995)
SOURCE: Guest, Harriet. “The Dream of a Common Language: Hannah More and Mary Wollstonecraft.” Textual Practice 9, no. 2 (summer 1995): 303-23.
[In the following essay, Guest considers the similarities between the arguments in A Vindication of the Rights of Woman and Hannah More's Structure, noting especially the representation of the corruption perceived to be endemic among middle-class women.]
‘Have you read that wonderful book, The Rights of Woman’, wrote Anna Seward to Mr...
(The entire page is 8657 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE