Article abstract: During his brief artistic career, van Gogh gave expression to a passionate vision of nature and humanity. Following his death, his paintings came to be acknowledged by critics and the public as constituting one of the highest achievements of nineteenth century art.
Vincent Willem van Gogh was born in Zundert, the Netherlands, on March 30, 1853. His father, the Reverend Theodorus van Gogh, was thirty-one years old at the time of Vincent’s birth; his mother, Anna Cornelius Carbentus, was three years older than her husband....
(The entire page is 3436 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE