Brontë, Charlotte, Preface to Jane Eyre, Clarendon Press, 1969.
Colby, Robert A., "Historical Introduction," in Vanity Fair, Garland, 1989, pp. 632-37.
Cuddon, J. A., The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory, Penguin Books, 1992, pp. 827-32.
Forster, John, Examiner, No. 2112, July 22, 1848, pp. 468-70.
Karlson, Marilyn Naufftus, "William Makepeace Thackeray," in Dictionary of Literary Biography, Volume 55: Victorian Prose Writers Before 1867, edited by William B....
(The entire page is 327 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE