Ruma—a young Bengali woman trained as a lawyer.
Adam—her Caucasian American husband.
Akash—Adam and Ruma's young son.
Ruma's father—a retired Bengali widower.
Mrs. Meenakshi Bagchi—the Bengali woman Ruma's father starts seeing after his wife dies.
Pranab Chakraborty/ Also called Pranab Kaku (uncle)—the Bengali friend of the narrator's family.
Deborah—Prenab's American girlfriend and eventual wife.
Usha—the female narrator, just a girl when...
(The entire page is 632 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE