- James Joyce (Censorship (Ready Reference series))
- James Joyce (Critical Survey of Poetry: British, Irish, & Commonwealth Poets)
- James Joyce (Cyclopedia of World Authors, Fourth Revised Edition)
- James Joyce (Dictionary of World Biography: The 20th Century)
- James Joyce (Critical Survey of Long Fiction, Fourth Edition)
- James Joyce (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
At a glance:
- Author: James Joyce
- First Published: 1922
- Type of Work: Novel
- Genres: Long fiction, Psychological fiction
- Subjects: Twentieth century, Authors or writers, Literature, Marriage, Jews or Jewish life, Adultery, Creative process, Drinking or drunkenness, Heroes or heroism, Consciousness, Ireland or Irish people
- Locales: Dublin, Ireland
Unfolding in a single day—June 16, 1904—Joyce’s novel re-creates the Dublin, Ireland, of his youth, as seen through the eyes of its inhabitants. With its individual sections patterned after Homer’s Odyssey, the novel centers on that day in the life of Leopold Bloom—a Jew whose roots are in Hungary. Joyce’s work was perhaps the most avant-garde of its time, but its most radical innovation is in the narrative format through which it unfolds. Informed by Sigmund Freud’s theories about the subconscious, Joyce utilizes the stream-of-conscious technique...
(The entire page is 1448 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- What is the theme of Tennyson's poem "Ulysses"?
- What day of week was june 16, 1904? Why is that day important in English literature?
- Tennyson's poem "Ulysses" portrays the famous mythical Greek warrior. How does the Ulysses of Tennyson reflect the Victorian values of...
- How does James Joyce describe Ulysses in his book?How does Joyce's description differ from Homer's? JamesJoyce wrote a book about...
- In Tennyson II, why is Ulysses not content to stay and rule his country? Please I really need this answer T_T