One of the greatest of the legendary Greek heroes, he was celebrated as an incomparable warrior. His numerous exploits included the destruction of the Minotaur in the labyrinth on the island of Crete. The mythology that developed around the figure of Theseus included his friendship with Pirithous and his marriage to Hippolyta, the Amazon queen.
In The Two Noble Kinsmen, Theseus represents justice and a well-ordered community. He defends virtue and avenges violations of the rules of a civil society. A serious-minded man, he faithfully adheres to the standard of behavior...
(The entire page is 471 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE