The Woman Warrior (1976) is Maxine Hong Kingston's memoir of her bi-cultural childhood. Tan cites it as an influence on her fiction.
Another story that inspired Tan is Louise Erdrich's Love Medicine (1984). The novel chronicles the story of two Native-American families.
Gus Lee's China Boy (1991) is a semi-autobiographical novel.
(The entire page is 60 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE