Suggested Essay Topics
1. Describe Boo Radley, through the eyes of Jem and Scout Finch. Discuss his habits, his appearance, and his actions.
2. After defining the words “Caste” and “Class,” describe the caste and class system in Maycomb. Do you think such a system would still exist in the town today? Why, or why not?
1. Contrast the teaching styles of Atticus Finch and Miss Caroline Fisher.
2. Describe the outward appearance and the actions of Miss Caroline. Are there any contradictions between the two?
1. Contrast Atticus Finch’s idea of the law and Mr. Radley’s idea of the law.
2. Compare and contrast Walter Cunningham and Burris Ewell.
1. What evidence does one have that Boo Radley is trying to make friends with the children?
2. How is Scout growing and maturing as the story progresses?
1. Explain why Miss Maudie Atkinson would be a good friend for a young, motherless girl to have.
2. What lessons did Atticus Finch try to teach the children when he found them using a fishing line to give a message to Arthur Radley?
1. Why did Jem return for his pants?
2. Why were the children going to spy on Arthur Radley on the last night of summer?
(The entire section is 1411 words.)
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of To Kill a Mockingbird Critical Essays. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!