Suggested Essay Topics
1. Discuss the way different characters are named. Are some names more valid than others? Why or why not?
2. Show the conflict of nature vs. society in the characters Pilate and Macon. How do their homes, possessions, and behavior reflect this conflict?
1. Discuss “food and animal imagery” in Pilate’s house. Consider the five senses, especially sight and smell, to describe the atmosphere of the household.
2. Why is Milkman drawn to Pilate’s house? What do he and Guitar observe? What does Milkman say and do differently than when he is in his own house?
1. Describe Dr. Foster. Consider the evidence and use it to indict him as a snob and a racist.
2. Discuss the difficulties Milkman has growing up. Explain the symbolism of his “limp.” Describe what he sees in the mirror, and how family “truths” skew Milkman’s whole sense of identity. Discuss his relationship with the members of his family. How do these relationships impact his sense of self?
1. Discuss why Milkman is no longer interested in Hagar. Explain what attracted him to her in the first place and what has changed. Why does Hagar’s accessibility make her less attractive?
2. List the different crimes mentioned in the chapter. Determine if all of them are real or if some are fictitious. What is the impact of interweaving...
(The entire section is 1141 words.)
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of Song of Solomon Critical Essays. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!